Monday, November 9, 2009

Stan is the Man

I was so impressed while watching Australian Idol on the weekend (sssh...it's one of my guilty pleasures). Not with the show, not with the guest judges, not with the band. I was impressed with a young man who seems to be wildly wise beyond his 18 years. A young man by the name of Stan Walker.
Now Stan has not had the best start in life, nor has he had an easy journey to where he is now. From the wrong side of the tracks, involved in juvenile delinquency, never expected to go far. But come far he has. Blessed with a magical voice, and also the ability to tell a story and convey emotion while performing a song.
But what really astounded me was Stan's interview soundbite before his last of 3 songs for the night, Amazing Grace. Unconventional choice for an 18 year old normally dressed in a hoodie and cap? Definitely. Did he belt it out like every word had meaning to him and his path in life? Most definitely!
Anyway, in the soundbite he was talking about watching Guy win the first year and how much he wanted to do that, that his dream was one day he would be there. And now he is.
How so much has gone down (probably a lot more bad than good)in that time between now and then, but he made it to where his dream was taking him.
Then what really blew me away was when he said "Do you know why I want to win Idol? Because now I know I can, and it can be done. It's not more the winning, but it's about 'I can do it'. That's why I want to win." Anyone who has ever dared to follow their dream, achieved a long held goal, or held one in their sights will know exactly what Stan meant.
And you know what? I really, really hope that he wins. Not only does he have the classic underdog story, but he has shown he's got the goods, the attitude and the work ethic. For anyone to rise from where he has and follow their inner voice is an example to everyone what can be achieved when you put your heart and soul into your dreams.
Stan Walker, I raise my hat (or should I say, cap!) to you.
Such humility, such grace.
Amazing Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment